Skip to main content

Let the Rain Fall

September 26, 2017

Drought. We are typically in a drought. Burn bans and water conservation are not foreign to my little corner of the world. I know that around the world there are areas that have much worse conditions. Places that deal with bigger problems and who would consider the amount of rain we get as a blessing regardless, for us rain is not as common as we would always like it to be.

Today it rained. There were short periods of down pour that you couldn't see through and longer sections of light drizzle. As I sat in class and noticed the drops hit the window I thought about our typical first reaction to the rain. Many will tell you they love the rain, typically because of the calming sound of the drops falling on the roof, ground or whatever it lands on, yet when they go outside they bundle up and hide from it. Rain jackets, rain boots, hats, umbrellas, waterproof this, that and the other, the list goes on. There are many reasons for this and typically I will shield myself as well... but not today.

Today, instead of hiding from it I embraced it. I walked to my car after class and didn't even flinch as the water fell on my head. Today I went home and changed into clothes that were not waterproof and went back outside. Today I splashed in puddles and stomped in the mud. Today I let all of the worries of my mind and the difficulties of life take cover as I enjoyed the rain.

When life gets us down and we feel like we are surrounded by a storm sometimes we just need to step back and enjoy the rain, let our guard down and have some fun. One rain storm will not fix a drought but it can bring temporary relief. In our lives we have to take time, enjoy the little things, and play in the rain.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today WILL be a GOOD Day!

Tuesday November 6, 2017 For my birthday a few days ago my best friend gave me a jar of what she labeled 'Smiles, Quotes and Inspiration' so I thought I would take what I pulled from there to write today. The rules of the jar are simple, take one per day if needed but if it is a good day and you don't need a pick me up then save it for another day. The past few days have been okay and I have only pulled two notes and below is what they had to say: "Since a smile is a decision, why not make the choice?" "Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it's the little voice at the end of he day that says 'I'll try again tomorrow." **EDIT:  Mary Anne Radmacher is the author of this quote!*** I don't know where they originated but I needed both of these statements. My goal for this month and the foreseeable future is to find the silver lining. No matter the situation I am trying to find the good and focus on that instead of dragging myself

From Negative to Blessed

November 21, 2017 So much to do, so little time! Some people look forward to the holidays as time for family and fun, but I find that the older I get I see a to do list getting longer and longer and the holiday breaks away from school and work allow me to take a breath for a moment to catch up. Today I have a day off, but my to do list is a mile long, not just for today but for the entire holiday week. 10 Assignments due when I get back to school 4 loads of laundry to start the week and then a few more at the end Food to make Bedroom to clean Closet to get back in order Kittens claws to trim Christmas shopping to do Preparations for finals And then there are the things that I'm forgetting but will hopefully remember in time. As I look at all of these things and think about how little time I have, I have to remind myself what this particular holiday week is about. We are approaching Thanksgiving and in that I have so much to be thankful for. Instead of looking at

Be Inspired!

October 17, 2017 Inspiration In a biblical context the root word literally means 'God breathed.' Yet how does that apply in everyday life? Sometimes we are asked what inspires us and where our inspiration comes from and how many times do we have an answer for that? When we look at creative writing typically people say they are inspired to write. So how does inspiration, God, and creative writing go together... they are all connected by life. God breathed the life we have into our beings and from there we are able to go throughout our day and enjoy the world we have been blessed with. Inspiration for writing typically comes from our experiences, what goes on in our everyday life and what we see. Without the breath of life we wouldn't be here to write, therefore we would be squandering our opportunity to share with others the unique experiences of our life if we didn't write. So my charge to you... keep writing, as often as possible, about whatever you can find in