Skip to main content

Amid the Wreckage

September 12, 2017


This past weekend I had the opportunity to travel to the coast and assist with the clean up from hurricane Harvey. The amount of work that needs to be done is great and as the time passes the volunteers and workers become few and far between.

As we drove through Aransas Pass there were some buildings that were completely leveled and while their neighbor had minor damage. This was not the first time I had seen devastation to a community. I have helped with the aftermath of a fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, as well as clean up from the tornado that tore through Moore, Oklahoma a few years ago. This past summer I also had the opportunity to drive through the mountains of Gatlinburg, Tennessee and see the beginnings of regrowth after their recent fire. The difference in those occasions and this one had to do with me personally though. I had grown up going to Port Aransas and Aransas Pass and therefore I knew what it had looked like before the destruction. Comparing the before and after in my minds eye was a humbling experience.

While we were there we helped two families. One older lady had 3 trees fall in her backyard and we had the task of removing the stumps and leveling the back yard the best we could. The other family had a workshop that had collapsed and the contents ruined by the elements. This particular job was the most humbling. This workshop was also where many keepsakes, miscellaneous items and important documents were housed. Before we arrived the owners had already salvaged what they could. As we moved everything from knickknacks, old clothes, and children toys to the walls, furniture and insulation to the trash pile by the road I couldn't help but think of how pieces of these peoples lives were lost so quickly to the elements. Any memories that had been attached to items now had to live solely in memory.

 The entire experience was so humbling and it reminded me of the uncertainty of life. For those who left town they had no idea how much of their property would be destroyed and when they returned they probably questioned why their home was destroyed while others stood. While one could dwell on this and the imbalance which lies in such situations it is more beneficial to find the silver lining among the storm clouds. The person who returned to a house still standing could then use their resources to help others and those who returned to nothing have the opportunity to start over. It also reminds us that life is temporary and the items we accumulate can be easily stolen or destroyed. With that in mind we should strive to emphasize the experiences and the people more than the stuff that we get.

After all was said and done and our team called it a day we drove down to the beach. It had been a long day and we were all exhausted yet we found an energy reserve as we took our shoes off and the sand squished between our toes and the sound of the waves filled our ears. We rolled our jeans up and headed straight for the water. The beach had trash that had washed in with the tide but their was beauty in the shells that also covered the sand. At one point I stood looking out at the ocean, my boyfriend behind me with his arms around me, my friends laughing and running and jumping in the waves and I couldn't help but think of the greatness of the God that created my surroundings and the amazing design behind them. That though we were amid the wreckage, nature was already resetting and we were still able to find joy, happiness, and peace as many joined together to help rebuild.


Job 1: Before and During
 



Job 1: After

    

Job 2: Before





Job 2: After
 






Job 2: Trash Pile


 The Beach at Port Aransas


Comments

  1. Holly, bless you. I can't believe that you went all the way to the coast! This is my favorite line, "That though we were amid the wreckage, nature was already resetting and we were still able to find joy, happiness, and peace as many joined together to help rebuild." <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this experience. Sending money to help didn't feel quite as good as if we could have gone to actually help, but I pray it gets to the right people. I agree that it is all very humbling to see how quickly life changes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today WILL be a GOOD Day!

Tuesday November 6, 2017 For my birthday a few days ago my best friend gave me a jar of what she labeled 'Smiles, Quotes and Inspiration' so I thought I would take what I pulled from there to write today. The rules of the jar are simple, take one per day if needed but if it is a good day and you don't need a pick me up then save it for another day. The past few days have been okay and I have only pulled two notes and below is what they had to say: "Since a smile is a decision, why not make the choice?" "Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it's the little voice at the end of he day that says 'I'll try again tomorrow." **EDIT:  Mary Anne Radmacher is the author of this quote!*** I don't know where they originated but I needed both of these statements. My goal for this month and the foreseeable future is to find the silver lining. No matter the situation I am trying to find the good and focus on that instead of dragging myself

From Negative to Blessed

November 21, 2017 So much to do, so little time! Some people look forward to the holidays as time for family and fun, but I find that the older I get I see a to do list getting longer and longer and the holiday breaks away from school and work allow me to take a breath for a moment to catch up. Today I have a day off, but my to do list is a mile long, not just for today but for the entire holiday week. 10 Assignments due when I get back to school 4 loads of laundry to start the week and then a few more at the end Food to make Bedroom to clean Closet to get back in order Kittens claws to trim Christmas shopping to do Preparations for finals And then there are the things that I'm forgetting but will hopefully remember in time. As I look at all of these things and think about how little time I have, I have to remind myself what this particular holiday week is about. We are approaching Thanksgiving and in that I have so much to be thankful for. Instead of looking at

Mom, Momma, Mommy, Mother

September 19, 2017 Mom. We all have to have one to be alive yet each one of us has a different relationship and experience with our moms. For me she is all things positive. She nurtured, raised, and helped shape me into the woman I am today. Without her I could not imagine life. For me September 19th marks the day that her mother brought her into the world. I find the older I get the more and more I appreciate my mom and realize her wisdom. I can't put into words what she means to me and yet I thought I would write just a little something about her anyways. I am blessed beyond measure to have my mother so present in my life. She is my cheerleader and my coach. She always encourages me to do my best in everything and advises me along the way. She is always near but far enough to let me try on my own so I may learn and grow. If I succeed we celebrate but if I fail she is there to pick me back up and encourage me to try again or try something different. Regardless of the situat